Tofu is a dessert that I love. I grew up eating tons of tofu. dou hua (soybean pudding). But I must admit, I never thought of taking it up a notch until I discovered chocolate tofu. This chocolate tofu dessert is delicious. It is amazing that silken tofu is used to make this wonderful dessert.
This is a great recipe for those who are trying to lose weight or just want a healthy dessert. You can serve this chocolate tofu pudding to tofu haters, and they won’t even know what hit them 😉
Ingredients for chocolate tofu pudding
Silken tofu, cocoa, gelatin, sugar and milk, and optionally instant espresso.
What is the secret to chocolate tofu pudding
You will need these ingredients to make a super basic pudding
- 150g silken tofu (approximately 1/2 block)
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup milk (cow milk, soy milk, almond milk, oat milk, e.t.c.)
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 5 gram (1 2/3 teaspoon) gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
These may be useful if you’re making these desserts for special occasions.
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- Freshly grated zest starting at 1 orange, or 1/2 teaspoon of orange oil
- 1 tablespoon orange liquor, such as Cointreau and Grand Marnier
How to make chocolate tofu pudding
1. Bloom gelatin.
In a microwave-safe bowl, pour water and then sprinkle gelatin to bloom. Set aside.
2. Mix espresso and milk.
Heat the milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Stir in instant espresso powder until it dissolves. Set aside.
3. Puree tofu.
Blend silken tofu and cocoa powder in a blender. Blend until smooth.
4. Add liquid.
To the chocolate and tofu mix, add milk, orange oil/orange juice (if necessary), and orange liquor (if needed). Blend until well combined.
5. Add gelatin.
Microwave the gelatin from step 1 for 2 to 3 seconds to melt. Mix this with the chocolate tofu mixture. Pulse to combine evenly.
6. Let the pudding bake.
Place the pudding mixture in your preferred molds and let them set in the refrigerator. It usually takes around 1 hour. Keep it chilled.
Place the chocolate pudding mixture in ramekins/bowls, and let them set in the refrigerator.
Chocolate tofu pudding decoration ideas
These puddings look great when served in pretty molds. These can be easily dressed up or modified for special occasions.
- Berry delight chocolate pudding. A simple whip cream, fresh berries, and chocolate shavings.
- Christmas chocolate pudding. Whip cream, chocolate bark or crushed peppermint candies and fresh mint leaves. You can skip orange zest and orange liquor, but you can add 1 teaspoon peppermint oil to the pudding.
- Black forest chocolate pudding. Whip cream, chocolate shavings and fresh cherries. Kirsch can be used in place of orange liqueur, orange zest, and 1 tablespoon.
- Smores chocolate pudding. Add crushed graham crackers, chopped chocolate bars, and mini marshmallows to the pudding.
These are just four simple ideas that you can try with the basic recipe. You are free to experiment with the recipe and create your own chocolate tofu dessert.